HANDS-ON, MINDS-ON PROGRAMMING
Girls Inc. of York Region offers comprehensive programs that are uniquely designed based on need, age and goal. We provide programming to children and youth starting at age 5/6-18 years old, for those who identify as a girl, to build trusting relationships within a pro-girl and girl-only* environment, where we deliver research-based, intentional, hands-on programming.
Our research-based programming is age-appropriate and will support children and youth to lead healthy lives, succeed academically and have the life skills needed that will prepare them for adulthood. These year-round programs focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math), healthy living, academics support & enrichment, life skills instruction, advocacy and more. Girls Inc. programming is inclusive and culturally appropriate and is delivered by trained staff with diverse educational backgrounds in order to support children and youth and their needs.
What exactly to do we mean by research-based?
Something that makes Girls Inc. unique from other After School Programs, Camps, Etc., is the fact that our programming is evidence-based through our identity programs. These provide us with specific activities that are age-appropriate to encourage girls to take healthy risks and master physical, intellectual and emotional challenges.
THE GIRLS INC. EXPERIENCE
Based on our research and experience, the Girls Inc. experience is comprised of six elements:
- A pro-girl and girls-only environment that is physically, socially and emotionally safe and confirms that girls can succeed and deserve to be taken seriously for the people they are now and the women they will become.
- Trusting, mentoring relationships with adult staff and volunteers trained in an approach that is grounded in a belief in girls’ rights and abilities.
- Holistic, compensatory and intentional programming focused on girls’ needs which provides exposure to a wide variety of experiences and options that girls might not have experienced otherwise.
- Relevant, field-tested and research-based curricula that confront the serious needs of girls while building the knowledge, skills and attitudes to enable girls to be competent, confident individuals and adult women.
- Girl-centered, motivating, deliberate and interactive activities that develop and promote girls’ strengths.
- Sustained exposure to programming and connection with a girl over time to increase positive outcomes and reduce the potential for negative outcomes.
The Girls Inc. Sporting Chance program is designed to foster confidence and a life long love of fitness for health. This program builds movement and athletic skills, cooperative and competitive spirit, health awareness and interest in all sports as girls explore the benefits of an active lifestyle. Ages 6 -12.
Girls Inc. Project BOLD is a comprehensive, research-based program designed to strengthen girls’ abilities to lead safer lives by developing strategies for self-defense, seeking out caring adults to help with personal violence and advocating on violence issues.
What is the Girls Inc. Operation SMART “Formula for Success”? – Assume girls are interested in STEM. Too many girls still get the message that math and science aren’t for them. At Girls Inc. sites however, girls jump at the opportunity to dismantle machines, observe plants and animals and build robots.
The Girls Inc. Media Literacy program encourages girls to think critically about media messages and fosters their awareness of the power of the media and its effects on girls. Ages 6-18.
The Girls Inc. Leadership program creates lasting social change by partnering girls and women in community action projects chosen by girls. This program is designed to develop essential leadership skills for girls. Ages 9-14.
The Girls Inc. Friendly PEERsuasion program builds girls’ skills for resisting pressure to use harmful substances such as alcohol, tobacco, household chemicals and other drugs. Ages 11-14.
The Girls Inc. Economic Literacy program enhances girls’ financial competence and confidence and empowers girls to recognize early on that they can exercise control over their financial future. Girls are introduced to basic economic and financial concepts, including money management, investments and global economics. Ages 6 -18.
Where are the Programs offered?
Girls Inc. of York Region offers programs throughout York Region at the request of groups, organizations, institutions, cities, towns and school boards. We also facilitate In-School workshops, Lunch Programs, Evening workshops, After School Programs at various schools across York Region and at our Office, along with our Georgina Island Program. All of our programs are facilitated using components of the Girls Inc. Identity Programs.
Please check out the side panel for information on a specific program or contact our office directly.
All Girls Inc. Programs are facilitated by trained professional staff and are tailored to fit the groups needs.
CONTACT THE OFFICE FOR INFORMATION ON PROGRAMS IN YOUR AREA
All programs are service marks of Girls Incorporated
482 Queen Street
Phone: (905) 830-0776
Fax: (905) 830-4480